- This event has passed.
Fall 2019 Conference: Jamaica
November 7 - November 9$225 – $400
User Review( votes)
Join us in Jamaica for the AILA TX/NM/OK Chapter's Fall Conference!
Where: The beautiful Azul Beach Resort Negril By Karisma in Jamaica.
*Speakers pending acceptance of invitation.
Friday, November 8, 2019
7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Registration
8:25 a.m. – 8:30 a.m. Welcome by Chapter Chair Lance Curtright
8:30 a.m. – 9:30 a.m. “I didn’t shoot the Sheriff, but I cannot be released from custody”
This panel will address detention issues in removal proceedings.
- Bond issues after Matter of M-S- and Nielsen v. Preap.
- When should you file a request for your client to be released on parole.
- When/how to file a habeas—practical issues
- Pre-final order of removal
- Post final order
- Michelle Edstrom
- Kelli Stump
- Belinda Arroyo
9:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. “This is My Message to you: Don’t Worry About Denying Every-Thing.”
This panel will address representing clients in immigration court in the Trump era.
- When and how to contest a notice to appear
- Pereira issues
- Discovery issues in removal proceedings
- How to preserve your difficult removal proceeding for federal court review
- Are the never-ending changes in immigration
- David Armendariz
- Hussein Saddrudin
- Amanda Waterhouse
10:30 a.m. – 10:45 a.m. Break
10:45 a.m. – 11:45 a.m. Everything Little Thing is Definitely Not Alright in Asylum Proceedings
This panel will cover all the most recent developments in asylum law.
- How to construct PSGs in light of recent changes;
- How to Handle the Migration Protection Protocols;
- Options for UACs in Removal Proceedings, Special Immigrant Juvenile status and/or asylum, including the new issues affecting SIJ Petitions(RFE/NOIDS)
- Katie Goldfinch
- Justin Tullius
- John Moore
11:45 a.m. – 12:15 p.m. Special address from Jamaican immigration agency
12:15 p.m. - 1:15 p.m. Lunch / Chapter meeting
1:15 p.m. – 2:15 p.m. “Could you be loved, then be loved.”
This panel will address issues pertaining to marriage-based visa petitions and complicated issues on 751 petitions.
- *Dealing with 751 delays
- *Filing for naturalization during 751 delays
- *Difficult marriage issues in removal proceedings
- Irene Mugambi
2:15 p.m. – 3:15 p.m. “I don’t want to wait in vain for your love . . . er, decision”
This panel will discuss USCIS’s delays, insane requests for evidence, and notices of intent to deny.
- Best practices for dealing with the agency;
- When to file a lawsuit;
- Jackie Watson
- Maggie Murphy
- Neena Dutta
3:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. “This is not love, not love, not love that I’m feeling”
This panel will discuss recurring issues at consular posts, including:
- * Changes in the public charge ground
- * How to handle the requirement to disclose social media handles
- * What if your client has nasty tattoos?
- * What to do about your provisional case now that administrative closure is not available?
- Marisol Perez
- Michelle Edstrom
4:30 – 5:30 p.m. If Bob Marley was a lawful permanent resident, could he naturalize
This panel will discuss issues including:
- How to handle the pot-user from Colorado who wants to naturalize?
- Dealing with delays.
- Tax issues affecting naturalization.
- Olsa Cano
- Magali Candler
Saturday, November 9, 2019
8:30 a.m. – 9:30 a.m. - “Let’s get ethical and feel alright.”
This panel will handle ethics in Immigration Law, including:
- *what do to if your client lies to you;
- *when you are required to file a grievance;
- *Managing your office in an ethical way
- Debra Rodriguez
- Lance Curtright
9:30 a.m. – 10: 30 a.m. No H1B, no cry?
This panel will address employment based issues including:
- *Alternates for employment authorization when your client doesn’t make theH-1B lottery;
- *Worksite enforcement
- *NTAs issued to your EB clients?
- *CBP errs in admitting clients because they do not understand automatic re-validation
- *FLAG system for prevailing wage determinations;
- Kevin Lashus
- Faye Kolly
10:45-11:45 PERM and AOS/EB-2 v EB-3 strategies
- Sujata Ajmera
- Angelica Grado-Wright
- Gayle Oshrin
11:45-12:45 I-9, E-Verify, SSA No-Match, and Worksite
- Kevin Lashus
- Amy Peck
- Kari Konikowski Blackman